Saturday, February 15, 2014

Big sister stuff

So, believe it or not, the last post I wrote in order to somewhat get to this one. I want to brag about Amber a bit. it's difficult to brag o Amber, and have the full measure of what I mean come across if you do not know about Cheyenne's difficulties.
Amber is an amazing kid. Now, when I was a kid, I didn't think it was possible to have siblings and not fight with them. Amber doesn't fight with Chey. Amber watches Chey. She guards her, protects her, tries to make her happy, and interact with her.
Yesterday, Amber came home from school with a pot of chapstick that tasted like blueberry pie. A girl in her class new she wanted one, and bought it for her. She made sure to tell me it was new in the package, because Amber is a collector.
 She has been known to pick things up off the ground, or try to get them from the trash, to keep. Amber has a diagnosis of ADHD, OCD, and Tourettes. the OCD is where the collecting comes in, and she has had many meltdowns over it. Mostly because I do not let her collect garbage. Twist ties have been one of our worst battles... (I may have more about Amber's diagnosis later, but I don't want to get into real frustrations with schools, etc, until I'm through them, calm, and writing in retrospect. it may be awhile...).
Anyway, the chapstick... brand new.. She was delighted by it. The first thing I did was warn her to hide it. I think she had it hiding in her bedroom. Her bedroom door has an alarm on it, just like our outside doors. The alarm scares Chey... She doesn't generally engage the alarm... So, Chey got in. When I found her with the chapstick, it was all over her... face, hands, hair... Chey has ecxema, and is very fond of lotions and things to help skin.. she also eats them... (and other non foods. food? no. non food? yes. sigh). the entire pot, empty...

I tell Amber, and show it to her.. She says, "Cheyenne!" in a somewhat hopeless, accusatory voice... Then said, "huh, I guess it isn't an egg on the inside after all. Can I keep toys in it, mom?"
throwing things away can make for a meltdown, but having Chey destroy it? she just sighs, and moves on with life. (we are soaking the chapstick residue out, and she will make it a home for a tiny toy later).  Despite any issues Amber has in herself, I swear she is the best, sweetest, most caring big sister ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment